Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A networking site for geocachers and attendees of the fourth annual CacheaPalooza geocaching event in Hobe Sound, Florida.

HomeHome  Cacheapalooza.comCacheapalooza.com  CP4 CommunityCP4 Community  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Good Logs!

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
foottrax
Admin
foottrax

Geo Points : 58433
Geo-Reputation : 315

Geo-Character sheet
Geo Kachers:

Good Logs! Empty
PostSubject: Good Logs!   Good Logs! EmptySun Aug 30, 2009 10:48 am

We all have seen them! Please post some good logs you have come across. I got one yesterday on one of my caches. Here it is: click here

This one turned into more of an adventure than we were hoping for. Daddy helped us solve one for once. He said this one took him back to his pre-med days. We hiked all the way out to groundzero and didn't understand what the big deal was until we realized we were on the levee on the wrong side of the canal. In addition we had started in the driveway of the nearby utility company and had to cross through some minor bush and trees and cross through a fence to get there. By the time we had made our way to the real groundzero we realized we had lost our Blackberry. (At that point we understood why all the fuss about the last 100 feet, but we just stayed right next to the water and had no problems at all.) It was starting to get dark and we couldn't decide which "cache" to hunt for first, the Blackberry or the real cache. Monkey, Cheetah, & Li'l Monsta' all voted to go find the real cache with all the goodies. Daddy outvoted them and we ran all the way back to the road looking for the Blackberry. When we didn't find it we weren't sure if we had missed it or if it was somewhere along the first route we walked by the utility company, throught the woods, and out along the levee across the canal from groundzero. So at that point Daddy changed his mind and let us hike all the way back to GZ to find the real cache. We made a very quick find and we really liked the location. After completing our rituals we trekked all the way back to the end of the levee to find the Blackberry. It was a shame since it was 50 feet away from us right across the canal but we had to trek another quarter-mile to recover it. We figure we put in more than a mile overall. SL TN Left a TB, a lizard (it'll give you the spooks!) and an animal capsule (they grooooooooooooooooooow in h2o!) T4Tfun& exhausting?$!
Monkey, Cheetah, & Li'l Monsta'

7th of 11 Palm Beach puzzle caches on the night.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kachers.com
foottrax
Admin
foottrax

Geo Points : 58433
Geo-Reputation : 315

Geo-Character sheet
Geo Kachers:

Good Logs! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Logs!   Good Logs! EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:57 am

View Log: CLICK HERE

13 months... the chupacabra lives!
First I have to say that hunting the four caches in the High Ridge natural area was the most fun I've had geocaching in a single park in Florida ever. This place is awesome and the hides are all top quality. A special thanks to footTRAX and nastim for placing these caches and keeping good caching alive and well.

I arrived at the scene at 9:10am. I circled the lair once looking for a safe way to approach. Dozens of real nasty spiders guarded all the entrances. I made several attempts at crawling around, but wasn't coming up with anything. No chupacabra, no bones, no cache. I starting to rethink the possibilities. I then heard the brush rustle up on the ridge and ran up to inspect. Nothing there. I surveyed the scene from above, but couldn't find any evidence of the beast. I circled a few more times. Then I sat and read all the previous logs looking for some hints. All the info I could glean was pointing to where I had already searched. Maybe the chupacabra has moved on? Maybe it really was defeated as some previous finders have claimed? I over-analyzed the hint and performed some monkey acrobatics to no avail. When I jumped down from my perch, my heart stopped... I was suddenly face to face with the ugliest beast I had ever seen! It had been waiting silently watching my every move all this time. I slowly backed away and when I made some distance, I turned. Big mistake! I felt a tug at the back of my shirt and I bolted out to the clearing only to find that I was alone again. Well I wasn't going to be defeated. On the advice of previous hunters, I grabbed a big stick and cautiously entered the lair once more. But I was out of ideas, I was out of water, and I was losing a pint a minute in sweat. It was almost 10am now and I was going to have to retreat to the safety of civilization soon, but I couldn't bear to go without the prize! The beast had apparently retreated into hiding again, all was quiet. I crouched down to rest and recheck my GPS one more time. 5 ft... but where could it be? Then I looked up and there it was, right before my eyes!!! I presume that I passed the chupacabra's test and it had finally presented me with the reward! I was dizzy with elation, but managed to open the container and sign the logsheet (even took a picture to prove to myself later that I hadn't become delusional). I walked back to my car with a big smile, proud to have survived this hunt.

You've done real good footTRAX! The terrain/difficulty is accurate, and the coords are right on. The beast and the heat can make a cacher do crazy things, but it's all for the fun of the hunt. It's what'll make this one of the most memorable caches I've ever found. Thanks for showing me yet another great place to geocache in Florida.
Back to top Go down
http://www.kachers.com
Maxwell10
Admin
Maxwell10

Geo Points : 59955
Geo-Reputation : 737

Geo-Character sheet
Geo Kachers: Maxwell10

Good Logs! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Logs!   Good Logs! EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 5:31 pm

I saw this one the other day and just had to write eP to tell him how much I enjoyed reading his log

Vwllss - Waypoint: GC1P2WW

12:40 pm - Begin work on solving this puzzle with the intent of finding it on the way home

12:55 pm - Puzzle solved. Well, most of the puzzle is solved. I'm only missing one of the words, but I'm so sure about the crossing words that I know I must be right.

4:30 pm - Get ready to skip out early to have enough time to get to the cache. Co-worker walks into cube and asks for "just a minute of my time".

5:27 pm - One minute of my time ends.

5:28 pm - Give up hope of finding cache today.

THURSDAY

8:30 am - Arrive at work. Plan to leave at noon. Need to be in downtown Fort Lauderdale at 4:00 pm.

10:42 am - Doctor's office calls. The doctor will be in surgery the rest of the day - all appointments today are canceled. Reschedule for tomorrow!

12:59 pm - Get son to band camp with one minute to spare! Have lunch.

2:30 pm - Arrive at the cache parking lot. Power up GPSr, punch in coordinates, and head in the direction of the arrow. "Battery Low" warning appears on GPSr screen.

2:31:15 pm - GPSr turns self off. Press on in same direction.

2:33 pm - Trail veers sharply away from the direction I know I need to be traveling. Remember signs at trailhead that say "STAY ON TRAIL". Begin debate with self as to whether heeding that guidance is a good idea or not. If I stay on the trail, I don't think I'll find the cache. Ever.

2:34 pm - Debate with self concluded. I must find this cache! Leave trail.

2:34:30 pm - Restart GPSr, hoping to get a few minutes of battery life out of it. Stare at GPSr.

2:35 pm - Walk face-first into a massive spider web across the trail.

2:35:01 pm - Drop GPSr, shake head violently, and hope the spider isn't in my hair. Frantically swipe at hair in hopes of brushing away any potential spiders.

2:35:05 pm - Consider that if the spider is in my hair, I will have smashed it and spider guts will now be in my hair.

2:35:06 pm - Check hair for spider guts. No spider guts found. Remainder of spider web removed. Pick up GPSr to find that it has died and powered off again.

2:35:12 pm - Grab a stick to use to clear away spider webs in front of me. Look up at remains of spider web. The spider is as large as my outstretched fingers.

2:35:25 pm - Exhale. Press on.

2:36 pm - Avoid spider webs 2, 3, and 4.

2:38 pm - Power up the GPSr again. It stays on just long enough for me to walk around a particular area of interest. Cache must be there.

2:39 pm - It is. Container is in hand!

2:39:01 pm - But I can't open it. RATS. But I do remember what I need to open it!

2:39:03 pm - What I need is the last bit of the puzzle I wasn't able to solve. RATS. And my solution to the puzzle is back on my desk at work. 30 miles away.

2:40 pm - Piece together what I think is the correct solution to the puzzle from memory. Ignore insect stings. Ignore pain of being poked by a thorny plant. Keep trying to open the cache. Keep failing.

2:45 pm - Give up squatting. Realize that I need to work on this some more. Decide to take the container with me back to the trailhead and work on it there.

2:50 pm - Return to trailhead after avoiding spiders 4, 3, 2, and 1 successfully. Fail to open container.

3:00 pm - Make notes about the container. Return container to hiding spot. Return to car and leave the area to try to find a nearby WiFi spot to cross-check my puzzle solution.

3:10 pm - Find WiFi spot. Order frozen lemonade which is awesome relief for being outside in the afternoon heat. Check answers. Discover potential solution that I totally overlooked.

3:35 pm - Return to the cache site. Apply solution - SUCCESS! Sign log, leave Red Otter pathtag for next finder.

3:45 pm - Return to the car. Miraculously hit a lucky combination of green lights. Make it to my meeting on time.

Thanks for the cache!

-eP
Back to top Go down
Maxwell10
Admin
Maxwell10

Geo Points : 59955
Geo-Reputation : 737

Geo-Character sheet
Geo Kachers: Maxwell10

Good Logs! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Logs!   Good Logs! EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 5:42 pm

I couldn't resist...

Good Logs! Log10
Back to top Go down
fishnfla
Cacheapalooza Crew
fishnfla

Geo Points : 58953
Geo-Reputation : 1377

Geo-Character sheet
Geo Kachers:

Good Logs! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Logs!   Good Logs! EmptyMon Aug 31, 2009 7:07 pm

I remember CHUPACBARA I think those were some of the best logs ever posted in the area! MySpider one is good too.Cache Logs
August 27 by oraclebennett (219 found)
Talk about a bushwack. I am lucky I made it out of the woods on this one.
When I started this one I saw a whole bunch of spiders and almost turned around, but I decided to keep marching on. Wow, I almost had a coranary as I got closer to the cache. If I thought the giant spiders by the begining of the trail were big, then the ones closer to the cache were ginormous. They were bigger then my fist and everywhere. I saw some eating other giant spiders and jumping from tree to tree. That's when I looked up.

OH MY GOD! I was standing underneath at least 30 giant spiders in webs that stretched at least 30 feet from tree to tree. Don't look up, Don't look up, Don't look up was my mantra for about 30 minutes getting the cache and getting out the woods.

I am so glad I brought my spidey stick, and my trusty compass. I should have marked my spot when I got out of the car, because after leaving the cache I thought I was going the right way, but I got turned around. When I turned on my compass I realized I had walked another 100 yards the wrong way in a giant, spider infested patch of wodds. $#&%*?!!!

I quickly pulled it together and started heading the right way, waving my spidey stick all around me so I would not hit a spiderweb, freak out and run head first into a tree.

I finally emerged victorious and unscathed, although a little shaken. I may not have conquered my fear of spiders, but I did get another notch on my geocaching scoreboard. All others be warned, bring a big stick and DON'T LOOK UP whatever you do.

TFTC and the mild panic attack.
Back to top Go down
fla030

Geo Points : 53096
Geo-Reputation : 9

Good Logs! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Logs!   Good Logs! EmptyFri Nov 06, 2009 8:27 am

This is how I got introduced to geocaching and it makes for a great log read;

Quote :
oraclebennett couldn't find Hanging in the bush! (Traditional Cache)

2:45 A.M.

The blue lights come to life as the Hugomobile approaches Ground Zero. It's an awful feeling to see those lights when you've done something wrong. It is a different, more annoyed feeling when you've executed a simple U-turn and are on the right side of the law.

Bad Cop approaches the car. "So what are you guys all up to?" he growls.

"Geocaching." Hugo would never lie to a cop, especially when the truth is more confusing.

Bad Cop snarls and shows his fangs, doing all he can to hold back the rabies rage that threatens to make this a longer furlough.

A sherpa cannot resist. "I didn't know it was illegal to drive through a parking lot," he says.

Bad Cop: "Bark! Bark! Bark!"

Fortunately for the team, Hugo loves all creatures and is therefore fluent in canine.

"He doesn't know what geocaching is," Hugo tells the team.

"We use million dollar satellites to find tupperware in the woods," sherpa explains.

"Bark! Bark! Bark!"

"He wants to know why it takes more then one of us to geo-cash," Hugo translates.

"You should see what happens when you publish 11 of them at the same time in Margate," sherpa continues.

"Bark! Bark! Bark!"

"He said something about loitering, prowling and lurking," Hugo says, nearly unable to stifle a laugh.

"Bark! Bark! Bark!"

"That's decrypted sir," sherpa explains.

"Bark!" Bark! Bark!"

A second set of blues flashes onto the scene.

"Bark, Bark, Bark,"

"He wants to know if we have any knives or guns," Hugo says.

"We are armed only with GPS and geosenses," sherpa replies.

Good Cop also speaks canine, and thankfully English too.

"Yeah, I got bit by a geobug a while back," Good Cop tells us. He has some geosense and is quickly anxious to have more. "I've been to the website. I get it."

Good Cop has tamed the situation, we all pet Bad Cop and tell him he's a good boy.

The real irony is that after all that, we cannot find it. Hugo is distracted and talking about a classic scene from some old movie called "American Graffitti". We decide another time would be better served, perhaps same time next week so we can say hello to our two new friends again.

Somehow we just bet that bat7's name is the last one on the log.

The Hugomobile passes Good Cop on the way out. Both cars stop to talk.

"Did you find it? 'Hanging in the Bushes'?" Good Cop asks. He has his computer up with the geoworld at his fingertips.

Defeat is admitted.

Good Cop seems eager to join, and you share a few tales to help him understand what it means. "What else have I got to do?" he says.

He is, after all, already a hero. He saves lives. We don't have to thank him. In a weird way, it's his job.

Hugo's new best friend.

Eventually I found the cache before oracle did, but I won't rub it in too much :)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Good Logs! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Good Logs!   Good Logs! Empty

Back to top Go down

Good Logs!
Page 1 of 1